I know there are good leaders out there. People tell me about them all of the time.
The people doing the telling are students in my courses, attendees at my keynotes and participants in my workshops. All of them are able to enthusiastically describe one or more great leaders in their professional lives.
The formula these good leaders use is simple. They…
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Pay attention to each individual like he/she matters, because they do.
- Model the values and behaviors they want to see in the workplace.
- Make the tough calls quickly and fairly.
- Don’t let any one person hold the team hostage.
- Help people become the best possible versions of themselves through coaching, positive reinforcement, and tough love.
- Set the stage by sharing the vision. Build the set by engaging everyone in strategy. Deliver the play by getting everyone involved in the action.
- Go home every night and figure out what they can do better the next day. And then they do it.
It’s that simple. Do all of that and you will succeed.
The cost of the top 100 leadership books at a round number of $15 each is $1,500. They all say the same thing, just with more words. Make your checks payable to me.
P.S., Yes, I write leadership books too…just with fewer words and a lot of verbs.
Art Petty is a popular speaker and workshop presenter focusing on helping professionals and organizations learn to survive and thrive in an era of change. When he is not speaking, Art serves senior executives, business owners and high potential professionals as a coach and strategy advisor. Additionally, Art’s books are widely used in leadership development programs. To learn more or discuss a challenge, contact Art.
Read More of Art’s Motivational Writing on Leadership and Management at About.com