For aspiring, new, or recently promoted first-time managers, this program will jump-start your success!
Moving from contributor to manager is one of the most challenging steps of your career! It’s critical to have help.
First-Time Managers Academy is a 6-week program sprint for recent or soon-to-be new managers who want to start strong and succeed sooner. This program helps the new manager build a foundation and key behaviors essential for success. The blend of live-online working sessions, one-on-one coaching, and e-learning support make this a unique and powerful offering for new managers.
Early Fall 2020 Session Registration is Sold Out!
Drop us a note to learn more about upcoming sessions or to request a program for your team.
Powerful, actionable guidance delivered in six 90-minute working sessions + one-on-one coaching + e-learning to help you rethink your approach and help you grow the performance of your team and organization.
Note: all sessions recorded in case you have a schedule conflict.
First-Time Managers Academy blends virtual classroom training with one-on-one coaching and e-learning to help new managers succeed with their level-up challenges.
- The live-online working sessions introduce key topics and encourage participants to think through the ideas and approaches in all-group and breakout discussions.
- The coaching portion of the program is tailored to the individual and focused on adjusting or adopting behaviors to promote growth and high-performance.
- Participants have evergreen access to an e-learning portal that includes resources, links, and content and tools on how to apply course concepts in the workplace and sustain long-term development.
What Participants Learn:
Navigating and Succeeding with the Transition from Contributor to Manager
- From team member to team manager: navigating the transition
- Where many new managers trip and how to avoid the obstacles
- Understanding your new role
- Aligning with your boss on charter and mission
Building Trust with Your Team
- Applying the performance-enhancing power of Swift Trust
- Assessing their needs for a manager
- Using Angela’s Question to define your role in their eyes
- Creating your leadership charter
- Bringing your leadership charter to life
From Group to Team and Performance
- Moving beyond the early-awkward phase of the relationship
- Using the 3W’s approach to jump-start collaboration
- In pursuit of high-performance
Winning with One-on-Ones
- Understanding the purpose of these regular contact sessions
- Designing one-on-ones that promote dialogue and exploration
- Keeping them fresh and engaging
- Other critical communication practices
Performance Discussions that Work
- How to deliver quality constructive and positive feedback
- How to gain feedback on your performance
- Why feedforward is so powerful
- Using goals to promote performance
- Coaching discussions on-the-fly
Running Great Team Operations Meetings
- Develop your operations meeting philosophy and approach
- How to build an agenda that works for them and you and your boss
- Rotating responsibilities for agenda and facilitation
- Building relationships by inviting peers/executives to your operations meetings
Developing your team members
- Creating time for development discussions
- An agile approach to team member development
- Creating opportunities to explore, experiment, innovate
- Thinking differently about everything
- Learn faster, constantly
- Setting goals for yourself the right way
Registration for the Live-Online Series is Closed
Registration includes access to all sessions, including guest speakers, one-on-one coaching, and evergreen access to the program’s e-learning portal. Payment is via credit card
Questions: e-mail Art Petty at [email protected]
Payment in full ahead of the course start date is required for participation
Refunds are not available, however, if an individual experiences extenuating circumstances, a credit will be provided for a future cohort or other Art Petty programs, including coaching.