For aspiring, new, or recently promoted first-time managers, this program will jump-start your success!
Moving from contributor to manager is one of the most challenging steps of your career! It’s critical to have help.
First-Time Managers Academy is a 6-week program sprint for recent or soon-to-be new managers who want to start strong and succeed sooner. This program helps the new manager build a foundation and key behaviors essential for success. The blend of live-online working sessions, one-on-one coaching, and e-learning support make this a unique and powerful offering for new managers.
Fall 2020 Session Registration Open!
Registration Closes 9/9/20—Register Here
Powerful, actionable guidance delivered in six 90-minute working sessions + one-on-one coaching + e-learning to help you rethink your approach and help you grow the performance of your team and organization.
90-Minute Live Working Session Dates
- 9/10/20 at 11 AM Central
- 9/17/20 at 11 AM Central
- 9/24/20 at 11 AM Central
- 10/1/20 at 11 AM Central
- 10/8/20 at 11 AM Central
- 10/15/20 at 11 AM Central
- Guest Speaker Session Date To Be Announced
Note: all sessions recorded in case you have a schedule conflict.
Wally Bock, a leading commentator/blogger on leadership and an accomplished book writing coach and multi-book author including Now You’re the Boss: Making the Most of the Most Important Transition in Business, joins us in First Time Managers Academy to share his insights and guidance for new managers. Wally hosts The Leadership and Management Book Club Podcast with Art Petty and is in Art’s opinion the finest business book reviewer in the world!
First-Time Managers Academy blends virtual classroom training with one-on-one coaching and e-learning to help new managers succeed with their level-up challenges.
- The live-online working sessions introduce key topics and encourage participants to think through the ideas and approaches in all-group and breakout discussions.
- The coaching portion of the program is tailored to the individual and focused on adjusting or adopting behaviors to promote growth and high-performance.
- Participants have evergreen access to an e-learning portal that includes resources, links, and content and tools on how to apply course concepts in the workplace and sustain long-term development.
What Participants Learn:
Navigating and Succeeding with the Transition from Contributor to Manager
- From team member to team manager: navigating the transition
- Where many new managers trip and how to avoid the obstacles
- Understanding your new role
- Aligning with your boss on charter and mission
Building Trust with Your Team
- Applying the performance-enhancing power of Swift Trust
- Assessing their needs for a manager
- Using Angela’s Question to define your role in their eyes
- Creating your leadership charter
- Bringing your leadership charter to life
From Group to Team and Performance
- Moving beyond the early-awkward phase of the relationship
- Using the 3W’s approach to jump-start collaboration
- In pursuit of high-performance
Winning with One-on-Ones
- Understanding the purpose of these regular contact sessions
- Designing one-on-ones that promote dialogue and exploration
- Keeping them fresh and engaging
- Other critical communication practices
Performance Discussions that Work
- How to deliver quality constructive and positive feedback
- How to gain feedback on your performance
- Why feedforward is so powerful
- Using goals to promote performance
- Coaching discussions on-the-fly
Running Great Team Operations Meetings
- Develop your operations meeting philosophy and approach
- How to build an agenda that works for them and you and your boss
- Rotating responsibilities for agenda and facilitation
- Building relationships by inviting peers/executives to your operations meetings
Developing your team members
- Creating time for development discussions
- An agile approach to team member development
- Creating opportunities to explore, experiment, innovate
- Thinking differently about everything
- Learn faster, constantly
- Setting goals for yourself the right way
Registration includes access to all sessions, including guest speakers, one-on-one coaching, and evergreen access to the program’s e-learning portal. Payment is via credit card
From 9/4/2020 until 9/9/2020
- $397 per participant.
- $347 per participant for groups of 3 or more (E-mail Art Petty for payment arrangements)
Questions: e-mail Art Petty at [email protected]
Payment in full ahead of the course start date is required for participation
Refunds are not available, however, if an individual experiences extenuating circumstances, a credit will be provided for a future cohort or other Art Petty programs, including coaching.