Depending upon your career stage, successfully executing on your new responsibilities might require drawing upon a significantly different set of skills than those demanded in prior positions. And while many professionals do successfully navigate the transition, a good number…up to 40% according to one study (Center for Creative Leadership), actually fail during the 18 months following a promotion. That’s a big number by anyone’s measure.
Scott Eblin, co-founder and President of The Eblin Group, and the author of, The Next Level-What Insiders Know About Executive Success, knows more than a few things about helping professionals successfully navigate up the ladder. His powerful and practical book is an ideal resource for anyone anticipating or involved in this situation.
Scott and I caught up recently to talk about the book (now in its second edition) and the opportunities and challenges that await the Next Level professional. The conversation was filled with ideas, practical advice and more than a few truly important nuggets of gold for executives or executives-in-waiting. Another engaging and fun conversation with a great professional here on The Leadership Caffeine Podcast! Enjoy!
- The critical derailment factors for leaders and executives moving up the ladder.
- Why the failure to adapt and break old habits might be the most salient challenge faced by these professionals.
- The habits that Next Level Leaders must “Pick Up” and those that they must “Let Go” to succeed.
- The power of Peer Coaching and how to do it practically and effectively.
- The challenge for Next Level Leaders to focus less on day-to-day operations and more on strategic opportunities.
- The Executive Listening tour made practical
- An overview of the 2nd edition of The Next Level, including the various tools included in the book.
About The Leadership Caffeine Podcast:
The purpose of this show is to connect with leaders, management thinkers, authors, educators, entrepreneurs and anyone else passionate about improving and innovating in leadership and management. If you are interested in being a guest on the show, contact Art Petty.
About Art Petty:
Art Petty is a Leadership & Career Coach helping motivated professionals of all levels achieve their potential. In addition to working with highly motivated professionals, Art frequently works with project teams in pursuit of high performance. Art’s second book, Leadership Caffeine-Ideas to Energize Your Professional Development, will be published in September of 2011.
Contact Art via e-mail to discuss a coaching, workshop or speaking engagement.